Friday, February 14, 2014

Portable Prospector's Rock crusher: Homemade Gold Ore Crusher, Whack That Rock Now!

Howdy, again!
Have been off the computer for awhile dealing with family unhappiness. My wife and I are 64yo and as you understand (or may already know), our parents can depart at any time. That said, it is good to be back.

I came across this site that offered another way to construct a simple but pretty efficient ore (rock) crusher. I showed in an earlier post how I crushed ore. I use a post hole pounder made of steel purchased at Home Depot. It set me back about $27, but for those of you looking for a better budgetary option, I found this site from a kind gentleman.

His suggestion is to take a 2 inche piece of pipe (his is 14" ling), weld a base for stabilization, and then let it rip. You can see that the piece he used already had thread, so was probably a left-over piece from another job. Notice that he used an old piece of pipe for a rammer. I cut my 6' "chinga" bar in half and have two 3' rammers that work great. You can also weld a round piece of plate to the bottom of the rammer, but I would suggest making it no more that 1 1/2" inches. The smaller the diameter of that end piece, the more power is concentrate on top of your specimen. Not only that, but you wouldn't want to be rubbing the sides of the steel tube.

Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.bertaut.com/rockcrusher.html

Though this ore stamper is from dNew South Wales, Australia, I have seen many versions of this all over the desert Southwest of the United States. In fact, there is a huge wooden one just Northeast of Apache Junction, Arizona at a state museum. These are marvelous to see.

Here is a shot of the one I just spoke of. If you are interested in mining and visit Arizona, you really should go to this museum.
Here is the link to the museum http://superstitionmountainmuseum.org

Here is the photo.
Credit http://superstitionmountainmuseum.org/

No comments:

Pioneer Bounty: $40,000 in Gold Coins Near Point of Rocks, New Mexico

The Santa Fe Trail was a transportation route opened by the Indigenous people of North America as well as European trappers and traders in t...