Thursday, November 07, 2013

Check out "Mining History and Geology of Some of Wyoming's Metal and Gemstone Districts and Deposits" Today

Although I pretty much prospect for gold in Arizona, my mind occasionally wonders to far off places. Someday I would love to go to Alaska in search of gold. Other times my mind drifts to places where I haven't really heard that much about gold. Wyoming is such a place.
The early 1800's saw prospectors and trappers finding gold in Wyoming. In 1993, gold was discovered in the northern Drainage of the Medicine Bow Mountains. Had pioneers, miners, prospectors and any of the people traveling through there to the west stopped to pan a bit, they would probably have discovered gold. The Bighorn Mountains also produced gold.
The history of Wyoming gold is very interesting. I have been reading up on it, and I have found two references very informative.
Find a length discussion, and perhaps the most complete on the Internet, at  http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/public-info/onlinepubs/docs/R-56.pdf
Also, a more localized history I found interesting is at http://www.wyomingtourism.org/articles/detail/Panning-for-Gold/35866

No comments:

Pioneer Bounty: $40,000 in Gold Coins Near Point of Rocks, New Mexico

The Santa Fe Trail was a transportation route opened by the Indigenous people of North America as well as European trappers and traders in t...